Monday, September 15, 2008

Eagles Flying High


Saturday I went on an Audubon trip with my mother. We drove about an hour and a half to the dock where the boat took off.

The actual boat trip was about 5 and a half hours.

Apparently bald eagles are coming back in numbers. I think I heard they were removed from the endangered list, which I have misgivings about.

On our way out to sea we saw some harbor seals and a few harbor porpoises (smaller than dolphins), that was exciting.

All in all we saw over 20 bald eagles! We definitely needed binoculars to see them well except this one time when one was flying not far from us overhead. That was my favorite moment of the trip. The eagle soared in circles, graceful and majestic. It was molting time so his wings had some tatters and holes.

I learned that its nearly impossible to tell a male and female bald eagle apart. The females are smaller in size but thats about all the difference. The younger eagles are mostly brown, they don't have their white feather caps on yet.

It was a beautiful day and the rivers we toured were lush and green, with lots of rocks and pine trees to gaze at.

Birds of all sorts were spotted. Great Blue Herons, different types of Loons, Gulls, and more. People would spot something and yell out the location by saying if the bird was at 10 o'clock or 2 etc.... All the binoculars and cameras would be in their positions scoping out each species.

I wondered if the eagles were wondering what we were all looking at, whats all the fuss?

I was reminded of how beautiful birds are and nature in general. I wish I took more time to appreciate my beautiful state I live in.

I listened to Leroy Sievers memorial/celebration of life on NPR.org today. It was recorded for the MY CANCER bloggers, so nice of them to do that.

One thing that Leroy said was something like.... take time out to do something you would have put off for tomorrow. Try something new.

Well I tried something different. Going on that boat ride. It was long and I was totally exhausted by the time I got home but it was worth it. I'm glad I went.

I can picture that soaring bald eagle in the sky and remember the beautiful and precious things of this world.

No comments: